Friday, December 26, 2014

Year-end spiritual reflections, part 1: On hospitality and defeatism

Most of what I’ve written on this blog has been focused on the specifics of ministry and teaching, but I haven’t written about what God has been doing in my own life spiritually since arriving in Colombia. So, looking back at my journals from the past seven and a half months or so since arriving in Colombia, here are a few things I’ve learned, areas I’m being stretched, and (often) ways I still need to grow.


On hospitality

If there’s any theme that came up time and again in my life this year it has been that of hospitality. Hospitality essentially comes down to letting people into our lives, letting their needs and even preferences have a claim on how I live. My pastor in Colombia focused a series of sermons this year on the “one another” commands of the New Testament—love one another, exhort one another, carry each other’s burdens, and so forth. I was especially struck by a comment he made where he said something to the effect of, “What if we thought of church membership primarily in terms of being a person who puts into practice these ‘one another’ commands of the Bible in the context of the local church community?” Obviously church membership has some institutional dimension, but I think he captured the heart of the primarily organic vision of what it meant to be part of a believing community in the early church.

Perhaps the most challenging biblical passage for me in considering hospitality is Philippians 2:3-4, which says, “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.” We are then given as our model of this attitude in Philippians 2:5-11 what could be considered the most extreme expression of hospitality ever given, the incarnation. To use categories from other biblical passages, in the incarnation God came and offered rest (Matthew 11:28) and abundant life (John 10:10) to his creation, not just welcoming us in for a solitary meal, but offering to adopt us as part of his family (Galatians 4:1-7). Considering hospitality, I have seen three ways I especially need to grow:

1. Hospitality with space—This is the most obvious application, such as having people over at my apartment for lunch. I’ve had a couple of people over and taken some other friends out for meals, but this is an area I still need to grow a lot in.

2. Hospitality with time—This is the heart of the issue for me, and I have found more opportunities to put this into practice. I have tried especially to make time to help out some friends with English coversation practice. This has been a fun way to get to know people and do something tangible to help friends who need better English for future educational goals.

Time management is a constant area where I see room for growth. How many times do I not make time for a beneficial conversation, not seek out someone I could encourage, or not volunteer to help someone because I have other commitments or am rushed trying to finish something at the last minute? God has convicted me greatly of the need to manage my time better to have the margin in life to naturally be able to express hospitality in those ways and not have my use of time dictated by urgent necessities. I’ve made some progress, but have a ways to go.

One good step I have consistently put in practice is not working at all on Sundays. This has been great as a weekly reset. While I don’t hold that the Sabbath is still strictly binding on Christians in just the way it was in the Old Testament, I think there is definitely still a principle to apply today that I have often neglected to my own harm and the crowding out of chances to be hospitable to others.

3. Receiving hospitality—Colombians are quite hospitable, and sometimes I still feel guilty receiving so much from them, whether it’s new friends from church taking me out or having me over for lunch on a Sunday afternoon or being invited to Ibagué with a friend for Christmas. I have also received tremendous generosity from the financial supporters who have given to enable me to teach here. Sometimes there are moments of struggling with having the humility to accept that I have received so much from others and cannot do this on my own, especially when I see how much others are sacrificing to enable me to work in a ministry that I love doing.


On defeatism

At one of the first meetings of my church small group this fall, my pastor asked us to think of a word that summed up something about what God had been showing us in our lives. A lot of people said things like “love” or “grace,” but I said “holiness,” because God has been working on me for a number of years now on the topic. I later found out some people were taken off guard when I mentioned the word. Holiness? Who wants to focus on that? Why be so negative?

The idea that holiness might be a negative concept shows how much we’ve missed the good news of the fullness of salvation accomplished for us by Christ. Instead of realizing that Jesus has accomplished for us not only our justification, but also our sanctification (and glorification), it is easy to fall into a mentality of thinking that we are justified by grace and sanctified by works, and with that fall into a defeatist mentality, not truly believing that God will provide us with what we need to be obedient.

God has brought two passages to my mind repeatedly in thinking about this issue of defeatism in the Christian life—Romans 8 and 1 Cor 10:13. Romans 8 tells us that the Holy Spirit dwells in every Christian (8:9), that the Spirit has freed us from “the law of sin and death” (8:2), and that the Spirit gives us the ability to follow God’s commands (8:4). Lest this interpretation of Romans 8:4 sound a little too optimistic, 1 Corinthians 10:13 shows us clearly that God always provides the way out of whatever temptation we face: “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.” I’m not as optimistic as Wesleyans are when considering these passages—I don’t subscribe to a doctrine of entire sanctification. But I do believe God wants us to grow in grace, provides for us to do so, and that this is the way to find the abundant life that Jesus has promised us, even if we find it in the midst of some extreme difficulties.

One of the common indicators of a defeatist mindset is the mentality that says, “But I just can’t do it. I don’t have it in me to make such great sacrifices or live so radically for God.” That’s true. None of us has it in us. But through the power of the Holy Spirit God gives us the grace we need to obey in the moment. Notice that 1 Cor 10:13 does not say that we always are in a spiritual state to overcome whatever temptation might come against us. Rather, it promises us that if God permits us to be tempted, he will provide the grace needed to remain faithful in the moment (see also Matthew 10:19. I originally heard some similar ideas from a John Piper sermon on persecution).

That requires a much more dynamic life of prayer, depending constantly on God and recognizing that a relationship with him is a lot more than saying a prayer, getting his power all at once, and coasting along for the rest of life. In God’s wisdom he saw fit not to make things work that way, probably to keep our pride in check. Repentance and faith, the two conditions of salvation, are things that must be ongoing in the life of a Jesus follower. As Martin Luther said, “When our Lord and Master, Jesus Christ, said ‘Repent’, he called for the entire life of believers to be one of repentance.” The same applies for faith. I must not only make the momentary initial decision, as important as that may be, but rather through faith constantly appropriate God’s grace that he provides for me so that I may come to resemble Jesus more and more in my character. Whether we see sanctification along more Reformed, Wesleyan, or Lutheran lines, I think this is the fundamentally grace-oriented focus that unites Protestant views (and ought to keep us all from being closet Pelagians!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment